Sunday, May 4, 2008

Blog#7 Where does our food come from and who cares?



Who really takes the time, when they are planning and meal or grabbing a snack, to stop and think about where their food comes from and how does their choice affect the economy and the environment? This class has almost overwhelmed me with the bigger picture. Exploring the relationship between food and the economy and food and the environment has made me see the complicated nature of these interconnecting systems. The question that inevitably comes to mind, is how do we apply our concerns to our everyday diet? How do I choose a food that is both good for the economy, the environment, and my body?

In starting to think about some solution, I was dismayed by the fact that our foods (I believe) are grossly unlabeled. We do not know what is meant by ‘free range’, ‘organic’, ‘natural’, ‘whole grain’ and how those ‘facts’ affect agriculture. One has to be an expert in order to know what is really in their foods, where they come from, and what impact do they have on the world. There is a gross disconnect between food and its consumers, and through that gap, information is lost.

I think with the way food is labeled and controlled by the FDA, it is close to impossible to make an informed decision. Therefore, the best course of action is to change labeling and testing of the safety of our foods. There are a number of routes to this change, but most go through political action. The future or our food, economy, environment and health is in our hands and I do have hope that there will be change once people wake up to the bigger picture.

No comments: